Join Our Team
Open Positions at Arizona Wildlife Federation
Arizona Wildlife Federation
The Arizona Wildlife Federation (AWF) seeks an energetic Development Director to lead and diversify our fundraising efforts in order to increase the overall impact we have on the conservation of Arizona wildlife, habitat and public lands.
Founded in 1923 to promote the management of Arizona’s natural resources on a scientific basis, the Arizona Wildlife Federation (AWF) remains one of Arizona’s most trusted conservation organizations. Our programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring and protecting habitat, assuring access to public lands, and connecting people with nature. Our members range from sportsmen to wildlife gardeners, and share a common value in the importance of public lands, wildlife and wildlife habitat. AWF is the state affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation.
About the Position:
The AWF Development Director will lead AWF’s fundraising efforts with focus on annual giving and major and planned gifts. This is a new position for AWF, and the Development Director will both design and execute the development strategy. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director must have an established background in developing and executing nonprofit donation strategies.
The AWF Development Director will manage the entirety of AWF’s fundraising strategy and efforts. AWF’s current fundraising programs are quite limited, so this is an opportunity to build a development program and have a significant impact on AWF’s future. Specific responsibilities of the Development Director include:
• Create a development strategy and priorities across fundraising initiatives including annual giving, major gifts, planned giving and corporate sponsorships
• Establish quarterly and annual fundraising goals that increase unrestricted funding to roughly 30% of the AWF annual budget over the next 2 years
• Design and implement a major gift stewardship and planned giving program
• Identify, cultivate and solicit major and planned gifts from donors in support of the AWF mission
• Help craft AWF “case statements” and create solicitation materials that describe our work to donors
• Plan and evaluate fundraising campaigns and activities
• Manage ongoing fundraising tasks including mailings, targeted issue-based asks, website and digital hooks and events.
• Establish donor analytics and track historical giving using our CRM database.
• Determine how to best leverage AWF’s board expertise to support fundraising initiatives and goals
• Provide other support for AWF advocacy campaigns and programs as needed
The ideal candidate has demonstrated fundraising expertise including quantifiable results, has worked in or with the outdoor recreation industry, has a passion for conservation, and is flexible enough to assist in all aspects of AWF operations. Desired experience and skills include:
• Excellent relationship building and communications skills. The Development Director must be able to represent AWF and work across the spectrum of supporters from sportsmen to wildlife gardeners. He or she must be able to clearly articulate the need for wildlife conservation and the value of AWF’s work.
• Familiarity and conversant with a range of conservation issues related to public lands, endangered species, mineral extraction, grazing, forest management, water conservation, and climate change. Ideally, the candidate is an avid Arizona outdoor enthusiast, hunter or angler.
• Flexible and comfortable in a dynamic environment where week-to-week work will range from defining strategy, to drafting communications, to meeting with potential donors. Must be willing to roll up his/her sleeves and do all levels of work
• Energetic, creative self-starter, able to work independently and cooperatively with little supervision
• Bachelor’s degree plus 5-years experience with a proven track record in fundraising and major gift stewardship experience
• Familiarity with CRM nonprofit software, donor databases and other fundraising technology
How to Apply:
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Scott Garlid, firstname.lastname@example.org
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities.
Compensation depends on experience and includes generous paid vacation and flex time policies. No paid retirement or health care benefits are provided at this time.
The AWF is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act. The AWF hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.